Thursday, December 6, 2012

feeding the family

I just gotta say that feeding my family a meal that we raised/grew is very satisfying. All the work, time and effort all summer long pays off. When I can go to my freezer or cabinet and pull some healthy, nutritional food out and fix it for my family...that is a very nice feeling. For supper last night we had a ham, green beans and milk all from home. The potatoes were locally grown. The pie was made from local berries and made in my kitchen. Our breakfast this morning I call "Hash" was home raised bacon, sausage, eggs, and milk. Along with local potatoes. We didn't grow any potatoes due to no room in the garden, but I would like to next year! We'll see how the space goes!
May seem like boasting, and maybe I am a little, but in a humble sort of way. Once you stop and think about where our food comes from, and how it's grown or raised and how most go to the store to get everything...I like to stick it to the big guys and do it myself! I find that very satisfying indeed!
Have a great day all!

6 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel!! Our supper last night was scrambled eggs and biscuits with sausage gravy using eggs from our chickens, milk from our goats, locally raised pork sausage and homemade buttermilk biscuits!
    Nancy at Little Homestead in Boise is doing a Dark Days Challenge and it's all about using locally grown food even in the dark days of winter. You should think about checking it out and joining us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you are talking about! I have cried with joy from some of the meals I have prepared! It's an awesome feeling to feed yourself!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiring to read! I hope that we too can get there some day. Hope you can find some places for the potato's next year. Curious, did you cure the bacon yourself, or did your arbietor do that for you as part of their service?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy C I will check that out. Thanks for the info!
    Kelly's we did not cure our bacon or smoked meat. We would love to one day have a smoke house! We had the butcher do it for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this :) It does feel good doesn't it?! I to am going to go check out that Dark Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate to this! How cool is that. So I take pride in making a home cooked meal. We do condo-living and my "mini-gardens" have not done so well lately, but the fact that I can make something healthy from scratch for my family that they enjoy, there's no comparison. We had fun joining a local CSA this past year and that was a neat experience.

    ReplyDelete