Wednesday, July 29, 2015

15 minutes can change a lot

7-28-15 Started out a normal day. Nice, sunny, and  hot. Not many clouds. The kiddos and I spent about 2 hours in the gardens weeding and picking. It looked so nice when we were done.
The night had been unsettled. Thunder and lightening almost all night, but no rain. It had started again late in the afternoon on the 28th. I  could hear the rumble and grumble of it in the distance.
It was late in the afternoon when my Mom called me. I was finishing up cooking supper and the kiddos were chilling watching a movie after a long day. She told me we were having a tornado watch. WHAT?! I live in New England!  We don't get tornadoes! But we did have a funnel cloud here, last week or so.
 So I hung up and went to tell my husband. Then I checked the weather on the computer. It had a severe weather warning. Heavy rain, damaging winds of  60+ MPH, heavy hail, and heavy thunder and lightening. Headed our way at 20MPH! I quickly told my husband and hurried the kiddos to do chores, not telling them why. Didn't want to alarm them.
We had about 20 or so minutes to get things done. Getting the cows in, the horses fed, making sure water was plentiful in case we lost power, etc. We also made sure to put things away that could be a flying hazard too! I watched the storm coming closer. The thunder was angry with it's rumbles and clapping and more rumbling as it moved closer. Then the hard snapping crackle of the lightening. The air changed. I sent the kiddos and dog in the house.
I wanted some pictures of the storm coming. I love to watch them rolling in. Coming up from the valley. I could feel the wind kick up, and the air change and the first drops of rain hit my face. This storm sounded angry, and looked angry.
But come it did! First the wind with the thunder and lightening. Then the rain. It came down so hard and so fast.  I was in the living room with the family when I heard the hail. I pointed to the window as it came down and hit the windows. But then with a swiftness and anger I have never experienced before the hail came down. We couldn't see out the windows the rain and hail was coming down that fiercely. The noise was deafening as it pounded on our metal roof. I couldn't hear my daughter speak to me and she was right in front of me!
And just as swift as it came it was gone. In about 15 minutes. And just as fast as the water flooded everything it was gone too. Really weird, but I'm glad it went!
 We went out and I had my camera ready to go around my neck!
This is in front of my house right after the storm. Standing water! I have a flat driveway.

I was looking around when I noticed something on the ground near the grass. This was the first piece of hail I found...
We all came out and started looking around. Then I noticed this
 The river that was coming down the neighbors driveway that we share and the wheel barrows blown into it. Then I saw this
Our hay wagon crashed into the chicken coop. I just laughed. Then upon further inspection of the ground I found more hail. The kiddos had never seen anything like this before. Ice in the middle of the summer!

More hail. Then I went out back to see my gardens...

Destroyed by hail. Oh how I wish I had taken a picture of before.  Green beans and tomatoes are all that were in this garden.
They were so beautiful. Doing so well and the first fruits were coming along. I should still get some carrots and beets. As for the rest I have no idea. It doesn't look very good or promising. How depressing. I am not, and was not mad. It's life and I know. I've never experienced anything like this. I was shocked.
We kept on looking around and found more hail. Here is 2 more of the biggest pieces we found. Ping pong ball sized.
Our poor broilers were in standing water and not at all happy. We moved them, fed and watered them and they settled down. We had to put 4 in the brooder with a light on them. We didn't think they would make it through the night outside. They were not walking, very droopy, and not eating. Not good signs for them at all. But this morning they were up and eating and warm and dry. I'm happy to report!

 To give you a look at how strong the wind was, here is a round bale in the field that got blown away. I'm standing about where it was left out of the baler. See it's path?!  Ya.
And again. The wind blew our chicken brooder about 4 feet from where it started too. You can see the white and brown thing the left. That is what we propped it on to keep it even and steadier. Some serious wind and damage to the farm.
As the sun was setting and we were wrapping up chores I was in awe of God and his awesome power to control all things. The wild winds that do His will, came to mind. I am so thankful and grateful to Him. The storm that destroyed our garden did not harm any of the critters. He protected them through it. Our home and vehicles were not damaged. But most of all, He kept all that I hold near and dear to my heart and my whole being revolves around safe. My family. Humbled and thankful I went to bed to start a new day. Today.

1 comment:

  1. Poetic! That was a crazy wind storm. I bet your veggies will bounce back. It is truly amazing God's awesome power, and the grace that he extends to us. Glad you all are doing ok after this!